Thursday 23 June 2016

training.....

So....I haven't been here for the past week or so....here, as in on this blogolette...I have been 'here' in the metaphysical sense.....Why? I hear you cry? What has happened, oh beleaguered one??  Well, I have many plates to spin, not just those of Jboy and these other plates have been wobbling dangerously and causing me some concern so I have been attending to them.  It has been a tricky time and continues to be so but I am calm and sure that Right will win out. Enough of that.
I have been asked to help out at a mother and toddlers group for Children with Otherabilities so today was our training session.  I felt very much like a spare part....I have lived this life, after all and am still living it. It felt weird to be 'on the other side' so to speak.....to be on the giving rather than the receiving end of things. Although to be fair, such groups did not exist when Jboy was little...we had to go to ordinary groups and try not to spend the whole morning in tears!! Or do what I did...and not go at all!! Each child is different.....just because a child has a label of 'downs syndrome' or 'autistic' doesn't mean that you understand ALL children who are Downs or Autists..each child is as individual as every 'ordinary' child. Saying 'they' (ie Downs children) are so loving aren't they..is like saying 'brown haired children always eat too much chocolate'....one cannot generalise. Not that anyone did this morning at the training session, I hasten to add. I am a little anxious about being involved in the group tbh..will I just cry??? Because such a group did not exist for me and my Boy? For all the exhausted parents who come to whom I cannot say 'it will get better' or 'it gets easier with time'??? It gets no easier...one just adapts.  Can I say that? Can I be honest??? maybe I will just make the teas and coffees and smile like an ancient old crone.....and hand out tissues as and when......
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment