Thursday 7 April 2016

Thursday's drivel

So....language....it is a useful tool for communication. It is something which we humans have and other species do not( I am happy to be corrected if this is not the case) but it can also be a stumbling block for some of us.....there is a shop in the town where I live which has a name so grammatically incorrect that I cannot bear to go in there, nor even look at  the shop as I pass. I was sharing my intense discomfort and dislike of this shop's name with my lovely chum today. She confessed that there is another shop in the same small town with a name so vomit-inducing, she cannot bear to pass it by. What is in a name? If you hear of someone called Ethel or Gunther, do you have a mental image of what that person might be like? Do you think we become like our names? If someone is called Grace, would we expect them to be graceful? My tired mind is going down a path to which there is no visible end so I shall make one.# (that approximates a gate)
 There is no answer to the shop-name conundrum..if indeed a conundrum it is. It is merely an observation. Jboy has no such problems. His understanding of the spoken language is limited and simple and his understanding of sign language similarly simple. He cannot speak yet makes himself understood (mostly). He signs about 15 consistent signs which he has either adapted from Makaton or invented himself by observing. There are times when he cannot make himself understood and this must be very frustrating for him. I wonder how he feels about it. I wonder what his brain could reveal, if we were able to get inside and see how it works. Maybe one day someone will invent an app for that!!!
What a thought
The End

P.S. I have just been reminded about the film 'Inside Out'.......interesting......

No comments:

Post a Comment