Monday 14 March 2016

Spring is springing....

So...here we are on a Merry Monday in March. The sun is shining and the birds are a-singing...I feel as if I can breathe again. It is the time of year when my mum would have been 'Spring Cleaning' making sure that every nook and cranny had been scrubbed to within an inch of its existence. Curtains down and washed, every wall washed down etc etc. of course my mum was from a by-gone era..even byer-gonner than me...when things became filthy with cold dust and so forth. She also hailed from the industrial North and despite moving to Cornwall when she married my dad, she still felt that everything needed to be cleaned....probably with a capital 'C'.   I started married life trying to emulate this form of housewifery as I assumed it was what one did but found myself failing and feeling completely inadequate most of the time. What I had failed to take into account was that I was not my mum. She loved cleaning and scrubbing things and wiping things and polishing things. She was rarely still, often seen with duster  in hand. She enjoyed not only the finished article but also the process. She was the same with ironing...every item pressed and flattened perfectly. I am not like that. Some might say I am just lazy but I have so many other much more interesting things I feel I need to do.... interesting to me, clearly! So many books to read (currently I have 4 on the go), so many things to write, so many flowers to look at, birds to listen to, people to drink coffee with....I suppose the thing is everyone is different. One is not better or worse than the other. Just different. .... It isn't wrong to love cleaning. I have two darling friends in particular who love nothing better than the smell of a nicely bleached home..I think they find me perplexing. But that's OK. It's all ok. I love them .They love me. Neither is it wrong to dislike cleaning. It's who we are that counts. I used to love the TV programme called Bewitched....THAT's how I would like  to get my housework done..skip the process and get to the finished, cleaned house!! So, if you ever come to my house, and you love cleaning, feel free to don your Marigolds and get stuck in, but if , like me, you don't like cleaning, feel free to sit down with a book....I promise not to judge either way!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment